851 N. Maitland Avenue Maitland, FL 32751 407-645-5933
Camp J reopening | FAQ
When is Camp and when is the registration deadline?
- Camp begins Monday, June 8.
- There will be no pre-camp week this year
- Spaces are very limited. Register by Tuesday, May 26, to ensure your spot. Registrations after that date are not guaranteed.
Will there be off-site field trips?
In order to protect the health of campers and comply with social distancing and gathering deadlines, we will not offer off-site field trips this year. Campers will instead engage in a wide variety of activities on campus.
How are drop-off and pick-up handled?
- All campers must be dropped off. No parent walk-in is permitted.
- Campers will be dropped off and picked up in the usual location (JCC parking lot; follow Camp J signage and directions from staff members).
- Everyone should remain inside the vehicle. Staff will take the temperatures of everyone in the car, using an instant digital thermometer. The camper will then exit the car under staff supervision. If anyone in the car has a fever of 100 F or higher, the camper will be denied entry.
- Staff will not buckle children in or put them into car seats.
- All campers will use hand sanitizer (supplied by JCC) at drop-off/pick-up and wash their hands when they enter the building.
- Camp J staff will wear face masks for drop-off and pick-up, and sanitize their hands after putting campers in each vehicle.
What's changing at Camp J?
- We have instituted a maximum 5:1 ratio of campers to staff, with 2 staff per group. This is subject to change if the CDC and/or American Camping Association (ACA) guidelines allow a higher ratio up to our normal ratio of 8:1.
- Social distancing will occur by camp group, not individually (e.g., campers will be together in groups of 10 or fewer).
- We will not gather in groups larger than what is allowed by the state and local authorities. This will impact both Flag in the morning and Song Session in the afternoon, both of which will be broken into multiple groups.
- Campers' temperatures will be taken again at mid-day (see "If your camper becomes ill" below).
- Staff and campers will use hand sanitizer and/or wash their hands between each period.
- Staff will carry disinfectant wipes with them at all times, and will wipe down toys/games/tables when entering and leaving a room.
- The Ga-Ga pit will not be used during the month of June. Should it be deemed safe to use such small spaces, we may begin using it in July.
- We will continue to offer pizza from Papa John’s as long as they follow their “never touched by human hands after it comes out of the oven” policy.
- Staff will wear face masks and gloves when serving food.
What is your sick policy?
Campers or staff will not be allowed to attend the JCC while any of these symptoms are present. They must be symptom-free for 72 hours before returning:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
- Vomit (1 incident)
- Diarrhea (1 incident)
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
- Runny nose of any color
What if my camper becomes ill?
- An isolation room has been set up to allow campers who are sick to wait for their parents. All sick campers in that room will wear a face mask, as will the counselor/staff with them.
- If a camper has a temperature of 100 F, either at home or in our facility, they must be fever-free for 72 hours before returning to the JCC. If siblings are enrolled in Camp J, they will be sent home as well. Campers may not return until everyone in the family is fever-free for 72 hours.
What if someone we know is ill or has COVID-19?
If you become aware that any person with whom you or your camper has contact with exhibits symptoms of COVID-19, is advised to self-isolate, quarantine, or has tested positive or is presumed positive for COVID-19, you must contact Camp Director Kacie Zemel DeMartin.
Is air travel an issue?
If any family member or other person living with a Camp J camper travels by airplane, the camper may not return to the JCC facility for 14 days after the traveler(s) returns to Orlando.
|Early Childhood Learning Center||Camp J||Fitness Center, Sports & Aquatics||Seniors||Cultural Arts|